Friday, September 3, 2010

Reflection: What is Art?

     The World Book Encyclopedia defines "in a broad sense, art is skill in making or doing".  I had never thought of art in this light before.  When asked "What is Art ?" I was stumped.  The only answer I could come with was that art is an expression that may or may not speak to others.  It isn't that simple however.
     Wikipedia has art widdled down to a the definition of "the product or process of deliberately arranging symbolic elements in a way that influences and affects the senses, emotion, and/or intellect".  This sounded very scientific to me.  I don't consider myself an artist, but I most certainly would never make Wiki's cut as one.  Would Jackson Pollock or Margret Burke-White?
    No matter where one goes to define art there is no black or white answer.  As vast as the art works created centuries ago to the even more vast of today, the definition of art is as complex and as dimensional as art work in and of itself.  Like reading into a painting or taking it at face value the definition of art is what you make it.
     Through all of this, I've discovered my very own personal definition of art.  Art to me is a creation.  Weather it is the art of hitting a home run, to the art of making a quilt, to a painting, to the creation of canyons...I view it as art.

No comments:

Post a Comment